Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Snowy, busy days

Hello from the Bottom of the World!  I haven't posted for a few days now because I've been really busy working lately.  Nothing personal, I assure you.

There is a fresh layer of about three inches of snow since Sunday.  Really, it's hard to tell exactly how much there is since the wind (which has been gusty around 15-30 knots) blows it around so much.  In fact, as I write snow is whipping around LDB.  We all leave deep footprints now everywhere we go.  It's supposed to be worse tomorrow (Thanksgiving for us) but getting better into the weekend, which is nice, because we'll celebrate Thanksgiving this Saturday with the 5K Turkey Trot and feasting -- and a day off!
Calibration fun. I made 32 of these today...

The snow and wind has put the kibosh on skiing and hiking at a time when everyone is prepping for the 5K. As a result the gym has been packed.  I signed up for the Turkey Trot and now must prepare....

So what are we doing all day at work this week with the instrument?  There has been routine calibration work with excitement mixed in. It seems every morning when we arrive the instrument is in some sort of crisis mode.  Two days ago we found that the flight computer would not boot when the instrument was running on battery power instead of ground power - - bad, since we will not be running an extension cord to the instrument during the flight! And then this morning the data disks were full and the root disk was filled up as well, which, as those geeks among you out there know, is a bad thing. But we think of these as opportunities, and are able to change software/hardware etc to compensate so if the conditions happen again either the failure mode won't happen or an easy fix is in place that we can implement remotely.
...and 32 of these. Thar's gold in them thar plots!

Tonight I will go hear the weekly science lecture, about glaciers this time. I tend to skip the ones about fish with antifreeze for blood and can thus live in below freezing temperatures.  I've heard about them before.  But how the ice moves in Antarctica fascinates me, is being better understood each year, so I have a good chance of learning something new tonight.

Otherwise, I am afraid I am recatching The McMurdo Crud.  Apparently this is one of the worst years ever for it. Everyone is walking around coughing, sneezing, or otherwise miserable My first week here I was sick, then last week I felt better, but I can right at this moment that it is coming back. Bleh.  Of the nine of us in our group, more than half of us are suffering currently with The Crud.

4 comments:

  1. Do they make hot tea available round the clock at the LBD? That's probably your best bet, with lemon if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UNACCEPTABLE AIRCRAFT AND PATHOGEN BEHAVIOR. I don't know if I trust that doctor penguin fellow you mentioned seeing in an earlier post. My sources tell me he's never even left Antarctica for any formal instruction in evidence based medicine. I suggest you seek an alternative proprietor of health care.

    On a lighter note, I request that, should your store of helium be in sufficient excess, you perform a juvenile experiment for me. Play the guitar in helium and tell me if the pitch shifts. I think it will not because the gas will not affect the string's rate of vibration, but others state that it will. Science must be done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww...poor Scott...hope you and your colleagues feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about you and hope you are healthy and happy. Alice has great advice. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete